Welcome to Uuughhh

A place for me to finally get my unheard opinions out to anyone who would be willing to read it (people with way too much time on their hands)

But this isn't just for me. If you have something you want to wine about but don't want to leave a comment feel free to email me at bajastiletto@gmail.com

Listen to some hot new music by my personal friends, read some crap post some crap, and share with your friends because this really is a spectator sport.

-B.S.



Sunday, March 27, 2011

Tonic East

I have been someone of color my entire life, last night at Tonic East bar in NYC was the first time I had experienced racism.
I went to the bar last night to celebrate my sorority sister's 22nd birthday.  We were drinking before hand and I had a water bottle of vodka/water/lime juice in my purse.  I smoked a cigarette before getting on the line so I could scope out the bouncers and see if he was checking bag or anything.  He wasn't.  So I left the bottle in my bag so I could drink it inside the bar.
Then as soon as I woke up there he makes me open my bag.  He says there are no water bottles allowed.  So I immediately offer to throw it out.  Before I can even throw it out he grabs it out of my hand and smells it.  He says theres alcohol in it (which is true but you can't smell it because the lime juice is so acidic the smell is plain citrus) and that he can't let me in at all.  So I'm like even if there was alcohol in it I'm throwing it out so why would I not be allowed in at all.  The entire time my sorority sisters are outside with me arguing with the bouncer.  While this is happening he allows three girls after me (three white girls) with water bottles inside.  He either let them chug it or throw it out.  So now I'm getting really sad mixed in with my anger it was clear that he was a racist and the only reason it was different for me was because I'm not white.  I had to call the manager and explain everything to him. '
When I got in I couldn't even have fun anymore.  I was so sad.  I have never been treated like that in my life.  I'm never the person to call the race card.  I guess in my naive mind I thought all the prejudices in the past were so far back in history that there is no way that in NYC (one of the most diverse places in the world) I would experience a white man treating me like I was less than he was.  Every time I heard a person of color claim they weren't able to do something or get something because they were discriminated against I thought it was a cop out.  I thought they were making excuses.  I thought it's 2011, our president is black, and everyone has the same rights at this point of time.
But that's not true.  We don't all have the same rights.  I've joked around with racist jokes before because first of all I'm not white so I can do that, and second of all I never really meant it.  But there all people in the world that do mean what they are saying, and it is painful.
I feel like I'm prepared for everything when I go out.  I'm prepared for perverted guys and jealous bitches, but I was never prepared for racism.  And I shouldn't have to be.  But the reality of the situation is.....that I need to be.
And if racism wasn't enough, at Tonic the employees are rude.  Many of them push through paying customers without even so much as an "I'm sorry" or an "Excuse me."
The drinks were $10 for a small, thin cup.  I was better off keeping my bottle and staying the fuck home.
The bottom line is if you want expensive drinks, rude service and racism Tonic East is the place for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment